Originally Posted by Hook
I will be carrying my newly acquired 7X57 Brno 22F opening day. Got it last week to go along with two other ones already claimed by my kids. This one is much better looking than either of the others and has the advantage of not having any modifications. Unfortunately, it is resisting my efforts at finding a tack driving load for it, 'tack driving' being subjective. These full stocked rifles usually give average accuracy at best. So far, the best I've been able to do with this one is about 1.75". That is perfectly acceptable for the distances I'll be hunting with it at, but I'd love to get it around MOA....just because!

Many other types of actions have some advantage or another that may be deemed to be better than a Mauser. But taken as a total package, the Mauser is still hard to beat!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
If it fits your hunting style, I'd suggest starting with 160 grain cup and core bullets, Sierra and Speer flatbases are what I used mostly in my BRNO's, I used Win. brass (good internal capacity), and WLR primers, and 760/414 at 48 grains....way above reloading manual max. Brno may be metallurgically the best of Mausers, BRNO has a very long European throat, and the reloading books are written to accommodate the idiots who would use hot loads in 1893 actions and possibly some fool firing them in 1902 Remington Rolling blocks. At 48 gr I got 2600 fps and 1 moa 5 shot groups. I seated the bullets well out, don't worry about jamming the lands...you can't. Brass lasts indefinitely so pressures are sane.
Also, don't just jump to the folklore conclusion that full stocks are to blame for accuracy problems, that hasn't been my experience at all with 2 fullstocks and 1 halfstock, I'd say phooey.

Last edited by flintlocke; 10/25/23.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.