Originally Posted by kaboku68
In the scale of things I probably really pumped up the Take A Mauser Hunting scorecard tonight. I picked up a Husky 640 with FN Action in 9.3X62 this fall for a great deal. I passed the great deal on to one of my friends who will use the gun as his main guide gun working this Spring Grizzly season in the Brooks. He was plumb tired of his Savage 7 Rem Mag as his big rifle so I sold him the rifle for what I had in it and he promised me that it would fill an ark subsistence every year for a while. The Rifle is big enough to put the hurt on Grizzlies but also fitting in the nice spot that his wife can use it for home defense if a bear gets truculent while he is on the Trapline.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

The Rifle is on the Right.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
The Dude is on the Right.

kaboku68;
Top of the morning to you sir, I hope your part of the north country is getting seasonally appropriate weather and you're well.

Your post and photo twigged a bit of a memory, well truly a rabbit hole with me, so hopefully it's okay if I share that here.

Over the years I've done a fair bit of stock repair and bedding which began doing my own and then branched out to do friends and sometimes friends of friends because there's not a lot of gunsmiths who work with wood in our part of the world.

While I have kept notes on some of the stuff, I'd have to guess I've done at least a dozen different Husky rifles with cracked stocks.

Most were the FN action with the beechwood stocks, but not all as some were the small ring full length Husky action which usually had walnut.

Most of them were cracked into the wrist which is an easy repair with good epoxy and a blind hardwood dowel.

The instance your 9.3x62 reminded me of was a buddy picked up a couple Huskys from a shop that's since closed - Tradex Guns - who must have had a pipeline to Sweden as they always had a good supply of used Husky hunting rifles and rimfires.

One of the rifles was a 9.3x62 and initially we could see the stock had a hairline crack at the wrist, despite the entire rifle looking in top shape. The bolt showed so little wear it was wild, as did the bluing and bore.

Anyways when we popped it out of the stock we saw that as well as the wrist crack, it was cracked between the magazine and trigger area, behind the recoil lug and then forward of the recoil lug running several inches forward.

All repairable, but certainly not something someone should shoot and expect decent accuracy and eventually it'd become unusable I'd suspect.

Please understand too, this is in no way a slag on Husky rifles as I believe they're among the best built "Mauser" types out there and often are a crazy bargain on top of that.

But do check the stocks for cracks when you buy one, the same way it's not a bad plan to check the trigger housing on a Parker Hale if you buy one of them, as whatever metal it was, it was at least somewhat prone to cracking.

Hope that helped and was useful to someone out there.

Dwayne

Obligatory Mauser photo - Old school coyote rifle built on a German made wartime action, Douglas Premium #4 barrel in .22-250AI, Timney trigger, Wolffe mainspring in a reworked stock I bought cracked nearly in half at a gun show for $20.

[Linked Image]

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"