Wolves are tough on yarded deer here in the winter. After that the spring comes and wolves go into overtime hunting for the new pups. Moose calves and fawns are pretty easy pickings.
In all fairness bears are very good fawn killers as are our bobcats and remaining coyotes. 4-5 lb newborns are an opening snack tender and juicy.

Without dangers to the pack such as hunting there is not the fear of man there once was. That leaves them able to hunt 24/7 where the daylight hours used to be a time deer could move, feed, then hunker down and be less obvious to the predators. Adding daylight hunting to wolves really brings all senses to bear and gives prey no break. With multiple hungry numbers they are a daunting force.
I’ve heard them here all my life, seen sign. These days the frequency they cross the lake out front here during daylight is remarkable. Nothing seems to phase them any more.

I witnessed a pack of 4 make a kill years ago on a big doe. It was incredible and quick they way it was done. They are proficient to say the least. I’ve heard two kills happening I couldn’t see, another deer once and a cow moose birthing where both cow and calf were killed. They do not often fail nor give up.

Osky

Last edited by Osky; 12/06/23.

A woman's heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth and I can find no sign on it.