Originally Posted by T_Inman
What do folks think about coyotes being gunned at beyond admitted abilities, simply because they're coyotes?

I've come across several people over the years who seemingly have a conscious limit to shots they'll take on deer or elk, but wail away at coyotes without any regard to their shooting ability, simply because it is 'just a coyote'.

Taking a 1000 yard shot by just aiming 10 feet high is a surefire way to educate a coyote, but that is a different discussion.
why will idiots stretch their max shot distance on a buck of a lifetime but not on a doe. That always made zero sense. Lots of does. If I was going to stretch it would be on them and not on a needle in a haystack. on that one I"d get even closer if I could than my comfortable range.

I can and will shoot a long ways given the right conditions. 1000 plus does not bother me at all. there aren't that many days I feel comfortable that far out though.

I will say this. I've hunted since I can recall grandpa holding a 22 up for me to shoot. I've done most any way. Lots and lots of archery. Compound, crossbow, recurve, long bow. Wood arrows stone heads. Etc... handguns, shot deer with 380 acp. Shotguns. Rifles. 50 bmg. Longest shot on a game animal was shy of 1000 just a bit. One shot one kill. Its a lot more work to be able to take the long shot, than it is to learn to get closer and take and easier shot. Was easy to get 100-200 or less of most deer we shot when I was younger. We did not hunt out west so there is that. But it took many many years of shooting to be confident to 500 or 600. Even more beyond that. If I am not confident that I can hit a clay target or really close then I refuse the shot. With whatever I have at whatever distance I am at. And FWIW We have wounded more deer at less than 300 yards than beyond 300 yards.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....