Don’t have any field data on live animals - but can point directly to the results of Ridgway, PA long range varmint benchrest silhouette matches - where a winning score is in the low to mid 30s (out of 40) and the average score is in the low 20s. So 2-3 out of four shots are hitting a stationary target between 850-1000 yards (that would be the approximately size of vitals) - from the better shooters. I personally can’t imagine taking a shot at a living animal (that is moving or has the potential to move) at these ranges just so I could brag about how far I killed one. I have way more respect for the animals than I do a “hunter” that would take such a shot. Damn sad really that some need attention so bad that this is something they have to brag about.
PennDog

I'm going to respectfully disagree with the point you're trying to make here.
I've been shooting VBR at Ridgway since September of 2011.
I've missed one match since then .. I hit a deer with my truck in 2021. That makes 78 matches .
I'm currently in AAA class 17 pound gun, one match away....
One score of 31 or higher from getting into master class
Several year's ago I shot a match where I missed all 10 crows at 850 yards. It happens.
From what I was seeing spotting my own shots and the feed back of my spotter.
My misses were so close to the actual crow target I could actually say I don't think I missed any of those 10 crows by more than a inch.I was so close it was unreal.
Still 10 missed crows.
Pretty frustrating.
But my misses on the crows at 850. By the amount I missed them by. Would still put a bullet into the vitals of 10 deer.
Based of the size of a crow there is no doubt I'd have 10 dead deer laying out there.
Something for you to ponder.

dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.