This thread topic always informs far more about human psychology than it ever does about hunting. Sadly.
In my current part of the world, wounded game generally don’t last long. The coyotes eat them alive or dead. Doesn’t matter to the coyotes.

A funny story to hopefully add some joy: many years ago my FFA Chapter started a big game shooting match to raise money. We shot targets of course but we did it before the deer/elk seasons opened and ranges were set around those goals.
We built a running deer on a cable, roller and pulley system. The deer was life sized wood with a paper target over the vitals. Gravity and a push downhill from a risk adverse FFA kid started it running. Match’s were 5 shooters a flight. Rarely did we have more than one shooter on paper. My cousins obnoxious husband was up and the FFA kid pushed a little too violently causing the deer to bounce a bit a one roller jumped the track stopping the deer. He laughed and aimed at the still deer a while, touched off his shot and knocked the near side antler clean off. 100 yards off hand. We all got a good laugh at that.
We made a lot of money with those events funding our trip to the national Western Stock-show each year.
F01