Yoder, that's the brutal truth. I don't know if I'll hunt there this weekend or not. But I do the same as you. I take my laser rangefinder and mark trees so I know what's how-far and too-far. Any place I have a stand or blind for deer hunting, I've done the same. I know how far a tree, or stump or whatever is so I know to let an animal get inside whatever I've decided is the max distance I'll shoot. Kinda like when the 19th century British army in Africa put out distance markers before a battle so they knew when to start shooting an advancing enemy. Laser distancing trees when I sit down is akin to that. I would do that here.

When I see a bird at 40 yards, that head looks mighty small to me. I've taken body shots on fall birds before, but those were birds taken during deer hunting, and whatever I shot them with passed through. This special winter season we have is much like spring season in that it's just turkey season - nothing else, and I can hunt them like it's spring. They're much quieter in the winter than the spring. But they come in to calls. I'd avoid an intentional body shot during this short winter season like I avoid it in the spring. And past 40, I just don't see how I avoid plastering the body. Even with a tight choke and big shot.

And as far as being a hunbter versus a shooter - there's lots of that going on regardless of the animal. I just don't see the fun or the sport of killing a game animal outside of its sensory range. Others' MMV, but it doesn't appeal to me.