[quote=
I'm not "purist" enough to pass a bird I called into my lap just because he doesn't strut. I will NOT stalk, belly-crawl or bushwhack to kill one. It's a game of skill. Mine against the bird's. 40 yards is where "My skill > his skill" and I feel justified in taking him.[/quote]

One of my proudest birds, I kind of bushwhacked. Only bird I ever found to roost in what I believe was the same tree. On the edge of a cliff-like drop off and a gas well opening.

I had scouted him and new he roosted near the opening. Set up one morning and had a sudden call of nature. There i am with my pants down and squatted and for whatever reason I look up behind me and there's this gobbler looking at me. A real Gene Nunnery moment. Well he pitched out across the steep hollow. And that was that.

I went back a few days later and set up on the other side of the opening. It was only scrub locust and nothing to hide in so I laid on the ground. I heard him gobble on the roost in what I believe was the same tree. I made a couple of yelps....cause I had to. He flew down and soon walked out in the opening where I could see him. Wasn't 20 yards. Little bugger only weighed about 16 pounds and had both spurs broken off.

One of them I'll never forget.

Sorry if this was a derail....