Originally Posted by Yoder409
Turkeys ain't groundhogs. They aren't "targets of opportunity". Vermin to be popped whenever possible. They are regal game animals that deserve and demand an ethical, fair chase opportunity. They deserve to be fairly & squarely defeated before they are taken. All the excitement in a spring turkey hunt happens inside 40 yards. A guy who can't call one to 40 yards or less has not been "successful". If he's routinely and knowingly taking shots at 50+ yards, he's a turkey "shooter". Needs to buy a varmint rifle and shoot prairie dogs or groundhogs..
That right there is a matter of opinion and in mine a complete load of horse shyt. Turkeys are dumb birds and ugly as hell. They don't taste particularly good and they're no more or less deserving of anything than any other animal or bird. I pay for a hunting license, I'll shoot my turkeys however/wherever/whenever I want within the game laws with no shame or regret. I've blasted them out my back door a time or two and they've been a target of opportunity while hunting small game/upland birds many times.