I was in TX and was over the lip of a rise between two fields. The birds came in and I dropped one at about 5 yards. I shot another one that I thought was about 40 but when I went to pick it up, I thought "man that is a long 40 yards". I walked it off and it was about 57 yards. Both birds were killed with a 20 gauge and #9 TSS shot. Both went down stone dead, but if I had known that the one bird was that far off, I would never have pulled the trigger.
That is the longest shot I have ever taken and even though I killed it clean, I still wish I had never taken that shot. I had patterned my gun and knew it shot very tight at 40 but that is as far as I have shot so I have know idea how it does at longer distances.
At the end of the day you have to live with yourself and if you feel good making longer shots. I know that my gun will kill longer than 40 yards but I don't want to shoot them that far. I would say that most of the birds I kill are around 25 yards and I am very happy with that. I feel that my pattern has opened up enough to give me a little wiggle room if I am off just a hair on my hold. Much past 35 yards, I always wonder if I can get him in a little tighter.

Last edited by pullit; 01/19/24.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....