Originally Posted by Steve
Originally Posted by MarineHawk
Originally Posted by Teal
As said before - power comes back on, the ship's hard turn is actually prop walk due to it being single screw. Full astern will cause the stern to swing to port, essentially lining the ship/effectively bow to starboard. It's a physics thing.

Your theory makes sense, Teal. But are you not believing the reports that the propulsion never came back on, and the black smoke was from the backup generator?

In the vid that Geno re-posted above the author thought the smoke was from them trying to get the engine restarted. Not clear that was successful.
For those interested, the dude's video, from before the one I re-posted from Steve's post, shows the ship's actual track just as one would see on the navigation screen on their bridge, or on AIS if one is watching at home, or in the company office.

The ship may look like it made a "hard turn" but that is the effect of perspective and the size of the vessel. If one looks at the track if becomes relatively obvious that a 990' + long ship is not making a hard turn, it might be attempting to but can't given momentary loss of power, the vessel has already slewed off course, and ships 3 football fields long Do Not make hard turns in a short area or distance. (unless perhaps with the help of some tugs)

As is evident on the picture of the track the ship was following, it was not anywhere near as sideways to the bridge during its approach as the camera angle on the videos makes it appear to be.

I'd sure like to have the time and real interest in finding out wind speed (direction is evident from the smoke) and current speed and direction at that point in the harbor when the ship lost power. Maybe someone else will dig that info up.

I'm taking bets that in the future the Port Authority there will start requiring tug assistance until ships are out of the harbor completely. That will be heavily resisted by shipping companies as those tugs are not cheap and they will likely charge by the hour.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?