Firehawk,

I just bought my son an 870 youth in 20 guage. I figure I will get more enjoyment out of it than a new rifle for myself.

I do have a Kimber MT, in 300WSM, and have no regrets. The 300WSM is a great round, that I can reload and produce similar results to factory. It is my understanding that you would not be able to do this with the RCM's. They use a Hornady proprietary powder to get the performance. I would stay away from that one, untill I could make sure that I could load something on my own that would at least match the performance that I purchased the rifle for. I'd bet the same holds true for the .325's.

I do think that it is funny that guys will say that "the .300 WSM isn't much more than the 7MM Rem Mag", and that "the .325 WSM isn't much more than the .300 WSM" but still won't hunt dangerous game with a 300 but would use a 325, so I guess that is what it all boils down to. The hunting community is filled with conflicting opinions that are both correct! confused

The .325 seems like such a more "single purpose round" than so many others out there. (Boy, is that gonna git me in hot water here or what?) The 7mm is still a great deer rifle, as is a 300, but the .325 is a bit much for deer. The BC's available for some of the 7mm boolits are amazing. I have friends that have taken a lot of elk with their 7mm's. If you like the round, and have everything to load with, I think I would tend to stick with it, but then again the 7mmWSM is pretty cool, and just out shoot my buddies, and spend the money on stuff for your kids and that new barrel.

BTW, I am in a quandry as to which caliber to buy a rifle in for my 11 year old son. It would be for deer, and he will really want to hunt elk with me. I am thinking .270, or 7mm-08. I do not think it would be a good idea for him to go out into the field during Elk season with a .243. He is a tall and lankey kid, but really strong for his age. Two questions here, one being possibly more rhetorical (sp.). How do you like the 7mm-08? and Why will we send our kids out with a .270 or something similar for elk, and yet we feel we need a "more bigger-better rifle for ourselves"?

Good luck,

5Points

Good hunting,

5Points