Originally Posted by Jeff_O
MickeyD, thanks for the info!

IMHO, a flatter trajectory is the wrong reason to run a bullet as short/light as a .33/160 grn. Trajectory can easily be compensated for in this modern age. I dunno, with this season's batch of TSX failures coming in... Were I running a 338 Fed I'd load it with the proven 210 Partition and just go hunting.

A simple elevation turret or ranging reticle would get you out to 400 yards with that bullet anyways. If I can do that with my .358... Then it's not that hard <g>. Cause I'm not that good.

You're quite right about the .33/160 bullet. To me a bullet that light, especially for elk, belongs in either a 7MM or a .30, NOT a 338, not that the 160 won't kill an elk but it would be damned hard to argue against the 210 Nosler Partition for use in the 338 Fed.

I've been using Nosler Partitions in all my rifles (6MM, 270, 284, 7mm Rem, 308, 30-06, 8MM Rem, 338 Win Mag, 340 WBY, 350 Rem Mag)since the early 70's and have never been anything but very impressed with how they work. Small hole in, MASSIVE damage to the clock work, small hole out. All this with great penetraion that has me beliveing that they will work under virtually any/all conditions---everytime! Don't know if it can get any better.

Recently I started playing with the TSX's. They seem to shoot very well in my rifles, but I have taken too few animals with them to be able to say if they offer any improvement over the Noslers.

I think all this lighter/faster bullet stuff on bigger animals (elk and up), esp.something like a .33/160---man, that is light!, is going to wind up letting people down in adverse conditions. Light and fast will almost certainly work well on good broadside shots, but you can't count getting that kind of opportunity. Plan and prepare for the worst and the ordinary stuff becomes easy.

Just my $.02

-Mike-

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~