Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
Originally Posted by Whitworth1
Originally Posted by ColeYounger
If you'll look at my posts, I didn't say that it held more powder. I'll have to measure the two to know for sure and to do so I'll have to dig up some 10mm cases. The original published data for both cartridges was very optimistic.

I've owned over a half-dozen 10's over the years, shot it quite a bit and reloaded for the cartridge a bit. I don't think that qualifies as a dismissive attitude. The .357 is not my favorite cartridge. I find it kind of humorous that the 10 is touted so highly as a trailgun cartridge, especially where bears may be a concern, yet the .357 is almost universally met with at best a yawn. The platform of the cartridge is what makes the 10 attractive at all in my mind, besting the .357 in firepower, in most instances. It's downfall is simply it's lack of popularity. It will fall out of favor again soon, I would guess, much like the .41 Mag. has went up and down over the years. Many great cartridges. Many less popular ones. I like stuff that is readily available, the older I get. After brief flirtations with the newest big thing, I always find myself coming back to the classics.

The 10 is a great cartridge that never caught on much to the chagrin of those who espoused it. It's descendant, the 40 did, and there are reasons for that even though many can't see them.

Cole, most revolver cartridges for defense have lost popularity. Every needs a "high-capacity" semi auto nowadays. The only reason the FBI dropped the 10mm was that their weaker handed officers couldn't shoot it well. The .40 was a step down to rectify that "problem." Revolvers are passe -- I still carry them for defensive purposes as I love their absolute reliability. But lots of folks fall into the "spray and pray" category today, so they have to have a semi-auto.

I have never shot a bear (even though I have hunted them), but I am a handgun hunter and the only reason the 10mm would get the nod over the .357 is once again, diameter. Bigger is better as long as you are able to shoot it well. I don't hunt with a .475 Linebaugh because I like the recoil!

Whitworth my friend,

Some food for thought about your comment in regards to spray and pray. I have carried both revolvers and autos on the job, off duty and as a sportsman. When carrying a revolver I do not suddenly have a cooler head anymore than when carrying an auto am I inclined to "spray and pray".

The advantage to the auto is not to shoot more than necesarry, but to manipulate the handgun less. I am less likely to have to top off my gun or take it off the threat. When it does comes time to reload though, the auto is much faster to get back up to full capacity as well by 99% of shooters. There is only one Jerry Miculek.

BTW, count me as a 10mm fan. I currently only have 1, a standard sized Glock 20 and think highly of it. It very much compliments my .44s as field guns and often gets the nod in wet and nasty conditions.

Now why did I know that this comment was going to be misconstrued. I also own and carry autos. My point was that revolvers for carry (as a main carry sidearm) are no longer en vogue. Younger generations would never even consider a sidearm that isn't a semi-auto and revolvers in their minds have been relegated to the dustbin of the ancient history. This comment about spray and pray wasn't dirrected at anyone here, nor was I suggesting that if you own and carry a semi-auto that you fall into this category. I see some folks getting defensive, but again, I wasn't suggesting anything but that revolvers are not as popular (full-size) as defensive pieces save for small snubbies for backup purposes.

When was the last time you saw a cop packing a revolver on his hip? Bet you don't remember. We have moved towards autos with magazines that have a large capacity -- which obviously makes sense.

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

The Gun Digest Book of Hunting Revolvers:
https://youtu.be/zKJbjjPaNUE

Bovine Bullet Test
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmtZky8T7-k&t=35s

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s