Nothing like a convoluted pistol thread! Ok, here's my take, some of which backtracks a bit.

I love the 10mm, especially my G20 as a platform. I can shoot .22 rimfire with my AA conversion upper, .40S&W with converstion barrel and full house 10mm which in the hotter loads is a 700 ft/lb class cartridge.

I want to briefly touch on the revolver/auto issue. If I was in an area where I really believed a bear was my biggest threat I'd be carrying a heavy revolver...period. Of my current arsenal it'd be my Ruger Redhawk stuffed with big (300gr or more) hard cast bullets driven as at max velocity. I understand the math behind the number of shots available in an auto but that's assuming that option is available. What if you've only got time for one, maybe two shots tops? I want the most damage I can possibly inflict with EACH shot on a bear. You may feel differently but that's how I roll.
BUT
what if you're as worried about meeting up with some rogues or feral dogs or what have you? For a "general" trail gun I very much like the idea of a high capacity auto. And I don't even dismiss the idea of "generalized fire" depending on the scenario. For instance, what if I'm in a pretty crappy cover situation but there's a better one close by? Blasting a couple shots downrange while moving to a better place of cover (or any other advantageous transitory move) can be of use. Granted, that's not the same thing as shooting a pattern at the range and figuring "that's good enough" because the target has 16 holes in it but I don't think choosing a high capacity auto somehow by default puts a person anywhere near the "spray and pray" category.

If there's one thing I've become certain of it's that there's too much certainty in the world.