Originally Posted by rost495
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
+1 to saddlesore's post.

Those who understand cup-and-core bullets will always gets what they want out of Sierras. Others will demand something that works to some other ideal than killing the animal.

So how do we explain the 165 in 06 in and out through a rib each time, around 120ish yards, never opening up, and never killing the deer through both lungs?

The SAME way we explain the Barnes bullets here and there supposedly(I've never seen it) not opening.

I was sitting and thinking after I replied a minute or so earlier, when still doing taxidermy I saw a lot of bullets and without a doubt the game king was the one most likely to have seperated from the jacket. Of course we do note that every deer brought to me was already dead.

I think you both nailed it on location of shot and the one I mention was pure fluke. Run it at suggested speeds and distances and all will generally be well. But that limits uses and such and thats enough of a reason for me to at a minimum to think bonded as a minimum.

I agree with Jeff. No doubt when you knowingly use a bullet outsie of it's performance envelope you can't complain when it doesn't work well. However, when a 180 grain GK launched at 2900 fps and impacts at 50-60 yds pencils through the ribs of a deer one day, but the next day it won't go lengthwise, it makes you ask just what is the perfomance envelope of that bullet? BTW, both small deer required a tracking job. When a 165 GK impacts at 2400 fps and still comes apart, then how slow does it need to go to penetrate?

While a Gameking is very accurate, I'll gladly trade a 1/2 moa of accuracy for a much wider performance envelope. Take a Barnes TSX for example. A 168 TSX, launched at 2850 - 2900 fps, is able to go corner to corner (though the paunch) on a hog at 200 yds, AND open up enough to dump small and medium sized blacktail deer at 80-100 yds on the spot. With so many bullets out there that will do that, why even fuss with a GK?

If you hunt in a place where you have enough time for deer sized critters to turn broadside and stand still, then the bullet you use isn't that big of a deal--just take your time and shoot them in the head or behind the shoulder. However, if the animals you're hunting are like these blacktails I'm hunting here in Oregon--where very common scenario is a quick moving deer, 40-100 yds away in semi open to thick timber, then you bullet needs to be able to go corner to corner AND expand. That requirement disqualifies Sierra Gamekings.

BTW, I am not anti-Sierra. When I shot competition I used Matchkings, and if I ever shoot competition again I'll use Matchkings.