Blaine, I have heard that story before. I grew up hunting thick stands of laurel in PA and about as thick as anything one can imagine.The bullet of choice was 170 gr fl pt out of a 30-30. Shooting was fast as you say, but no one ever thought they had to drill a deer from end to end. For 40 yrs my father used a 38-40.That is a handgun cartrige going about 800fps. A heck of alot of deer fell to that old gun.
After I moved to NM ,we hunted thick oak brush. Again about as thick as the laurel,many times only crawling though it on hands and knees.Then I used the old Norma BT, 130 gr bullets out of a.308. (not produced anymore),then switched to Game Kings. Again,no one I hunted with nor myself ever thought you had to drill one end to end and we sure killed a lot of deer.With those experinces,I have to call BS on the need premium bullets in close cover. Myself I would opt for a heavy bullet out of a 44 mag, 444 .375 or some thing like that

I have never heard of a GK penciling through anything , particularly at 2900 fps,but I have heard a lot about Barnes bullets doing that and even partitions, but I suppose it could happen.

As I posted before I'd bet you can take any bullet one choses and find some story that it did not perform as expected.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles