While I certainly don't have as many years of experience as some (and sure do appreciate what they have to offer), I have had the privilege of rambling through some of the bigger country in the West. I sure agree with Brad about attitude, it can make or break a trip.
For me, my goal with gear and techniques is always to make my own hunting skill and physical fitness the only limiting factors for success; this is the same for my other trips too, substituting "climbing skill" or simply "enjoyment of the surroundings" for hunting skill. Of course making your fitness threshold as high as possible will allow you to focus on nothing but the necessary skills to accomplish your specific task (hunt, climb, ski, etc.).

As far as my take on the preparation process, etc.;
I am in a life stage where my wife and kid(s) (#2 on the way) require that I be very deliberate about each extended trip. This has been good in that I am learning to plan carefully and maximize my opportunity to succeed on a given hunt. I have developed priorities regarding what animals I am really interested in chasing. For instance, I'd rather put my time in chasing big mulies in the high country and come away empty than spend much time at all hunting elk. Many people might be the opposite, and my interests will probably shift at some point. It just comes down to prioritizing what types of hunts fulfill your goals.
In terms of packing and gear, solid logic goes a long way. Instead of banking on a certain piece of gear to keep me comfortable (i.e. a hard shell keeping me dry), I've learned to use a system that will function and keep me comfortable in a broad range of conditions; wet, dry, or somewhere in between (which is where an active hunter spends most of their waking time thanks to perspiration).
Sometimes you just have to suffer, and that's when that good attitude comes in. I've certainly been guilty of tapering dedication when faced with less than thrilling circumstances.
I sure look forward to many more years of learning to be a successful backpack hunter.