Originally Posted by JOG
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Maybe YOU could enlighten the rest of us as to which 40 S&W pistol YOU would guarantee that would have held up better under this circumstance?

Just to add fuel to the fire, HS Arms (manufacturers of the XD line of pistols) has run a number of Glock-like torture tests on their pistols. One of the tests involved intentionally squibbing a .45 ACP round and then firing another round behind it. The pistol held up so they did it again. The pistol held up again. Apparently the pistol functioned just fine, but barrel measurements indicated a slight bulge.

a couple of years ago my grandson was not listening to my advice about reloads in a springfield xd .45acp. I was there with him when it happened. He was in rapid fire, had a light load which produced a squibb, bullet lodged in the barrel, then fired another round.
it cracked the barrel and jammed up the gun. It was returned to springfield, and new barrel dropped in and that was it. Very strong gun.
Now i did the same thing a couple of years ago on a glock 23. Blew out the front part of the slide, and cracked the barrel. I replaced the slide and barrel and it runs fine. This by the way was with a aftermarket barrel.
There are some design items with a glock .40, just like there are with every pistol. You need to be aware of them. among others: They are loose chambered intentionally, and the six o'clock position on unsupported brass. Other pistols have this distinction too.
the .40 is susceptable to bullet setback and increased pressures if looses crimped.
They have to be cleaned, the square rear of the barrel is susceptable to material buildup and they in some cases if not fully locked up can fire out of battery.
I like to call a glock a gun i love to hate except they do work AS designed.
The key element is to pay attention to the phrase AS DESIGNED.
I have fired a 23 basically since the year they were first introduced with all kinds of ammo, and with the one exception of a squibb load due to my stupidity they have worked fine.
I also know a guy that blew a glock due to a for certain overcharged round. It looked just like the pictures, and in that sense i think the glock worked, the guy did NOT suffer any injuries. I might add i have fired thousands of rounds of lead bullets through glocks, but i did switch out to after market barrels. The main problem i have with a glock is stupid people.
such as not clearing the chamber before you pull the trigger to get takedown of the slide.

Last edited by RoninPhx; 02/17/11.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO