I think two different things are being discussed here. One is definitely over pressure rounds causing the chamber area of the barrel to let go and I think everyone will agree that if this happens in any handgun it will have the same results. Totally the fault of the ammo.

The other problem is from split brass letting the gases blow out the mag and frame area. Some believe it is due to the supposed "unsupported" Glock chambers and others due to firing out of battery or possibly bad brass either straight from the factory or worn out reloaded brass.

I used to have access to brass fired from several hundred Glocks from police qualifications. I have a hard time with the unsupported chamber idea, especially when you place a round in a chamber and look at where the web is on the case.

As for firing out of battery keep the firing pin channel clean to keep it from getting stuck while protruding out the breech face. Keep the chamber clean to prevent partial seating.

One big culprit that I don't see mentioned is don't keep unloading and loading the top round as it gradually allows the bullet to be seated deeper and deeper running up pressures quickly. Possibly why the .40 guns with their higher pressures seem to usually be the ones blamed for letting go.

If something else is to blame I'd like to know.

Now for a real controversy, lead bullets don't hurt Glocks.

Last edited by stray round; 03/02/11. Reason: Fat fingers and slow mind causing errors