Originally Posted by croldfort
I always get into trouble on the .243/big game posts. Anywhere from 6 to 20 folks for lunch and dinner. It's a bummer to be sitting after dark and having munchies and cold drinks, when someone comes in with a tracking job. Stuff happens and folks bite the bullet and volunteer. But this happens more with the .24 calibers, (smallest legal), than all the other cartridges used.

Let me be the first laugh You are blaming the cartridge for poor shooting and poor bullet selection. I think it would be wise to educate your fellow room mates as too what bullets they should be shooting in their .243's and to actually PRACTICE shooting their .243's.

I can't even count how many deer my family has killed with the .243. NOTHING gets away, no tracking, dead right there. All we have shot are 100 grain Hornady flat base spire points. Some of the hits weren't perfect, but the deer (many large bucks) were dead in their tracks.

I would be willing to bet that your "gang" aren't even sighting in their rifles with their hunting ammo or they are hunting with varmint bullets. Put the .243 in the hands of ANYONE that can shoot worth two short hoots and even the biggest animals die very quickly. The cartridge isn't the problem in your camp wink Flinch

Flinch Outdoor Gear broadhead extractor. The best device for pulling your head out.