So far, there has been lots of proof that the premium bullets in the 243 kill Moose just fine, and NO proof that they don't.

Many opinions here on the subject of "cartridges," and some good suggestions have been offered.

However, I believe that the OP's question was more about "Bullet" choice (not cartridge suggestions). "If he were drawn, and decided to use his 243, which premium bullet would you recommend..?"

I have to ask "Why" it (concerning this idea that the kid shooting an already familiar rifle, that he has confidence in, as well as having already taken 3 deer with) doesn't hold water when the bullet he could use will out penetrate the "bigger" caliber's bullet.?

I'd also dare say that the 14 year old knows something about shot placement, which would make the 243 with the 85 TSX/80 TTSX stone cold deadly when shoved into the vitals of a Moose. And a lot easier to do when he's not afraid of the gun and flinching with fear when the hammer falls. It's already been stated, he is recoil sensitive.

There is a pic of a very DEAD moose at the top of page #6 that was killed with a 90 grain X bullet. As well as testimony as many others who have used and still use the 243 with good bullets to successfully take Moose.

I've seen more than a couple dead Moose, seen others kill them, and killed a few myself. No, I don't use a 243, but if that was my level of comfort, I dang sure would.

Again. Lots of proof here that the 243 works with a quality bullet, and not any proof that it doesn't.

"I'd rather have an Army of Asses led by a Lion, than an Army of Lions led by an Ass." (George Washington)