Originally Posted by fishdog52
One of the resposibilities of an adult is to help their children along with good judgement. When a 6.5 sits in the arsenal, the use of the 243 simply doesn't show the best judgement, or respect for the animal.
Never said you could not kill a moose with a 243. But....you will never convince me that the 243 will wound and lose more moose than more appropriate stuff.
I absolutley admit to a bias towards more caliber. I used a 270 for many years before trialing a 35 Whelen. The effectiveness of the Whelen, on game, impressed me, even tho the 270 has never disappointed me.
Most of the boys growing up on the (Pennsy) farm began deer hunting with a 35 Remington. I believe that experience taught some important lessons. Not sure some of you fellows would understand just what they might be.
Realize this got completely off track from the original question. For that, I apologize.

A long time ago I had many of the same goofy-ass thoughts about the importance of caliber that you are espousing... Then I started shooting stuff with smaller calibers and better bullets. Nothing like actually doing stuff to realize how doable it is.
art

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.