We all have out favorite writers and not everyone's prose is going to please everyone. That's just the way it is.

I do consider Ross to be a great writer, and I hope he produces a book or three before his career is over. I remember a superb story that he wrote for Wolf in one of the hunting annuals about his multi-year quest from a trophy Alaskan brown bear. It was a stunning, riveting story -- one of the finest hunting stories of any kind that I've read in my life, and it should be in a permanent, hard-bound book of classic hunting adventures.

The talent is there....

I'll also say this: Ross's brand of all-around hunting and firearms experience is somewhat rare in a gunwriter. He's been a world-champion pistol shooter, an African professional hunter, a professional rancher and North American big game guide, a world-class trophy hunter, and an advanced student of fine firearms. He's no fake.

On the other hand, there are writers afloat who ARE fakes. They have very little hunting experience, and they try their best to phony their way through that part of the program, even though some of them DO write like angels..........

AD

"The placing of the bullet is everything. The most powerful weapon made will not make up for lack of skill in marksmanship."

Colonel Townsend Whelen