Re : 458 Lott This is getting silly !
How can I be accused of mistating Ross's article when he admits that he's 458-bashing in the first paragraph ??
Why don't you read it again....or have you ever read it ?
Maybe with the powders and bullets available when it came out, it performed poorly, but with present-day components, I think it works ok...a lot of other calibers are better now than when they came into being.
Furthermore, if it's so bad, why does Phil Shoemaker write it up in Rifle # 208....was Mr. S trying to bash Phil at the same time??
My 458 took a 750 lb. boar Silvertip 10 yrs. ago...500 gr Hornady...one shot., so it works for me, and it will handle every size cast bullet that I make for my 45-2.1 and 45-3.2.
But....the point I was trying to make when I stepped on the toes of the Seyfried fan club is this :
I don't think any writer should bad-mouth any caliber...if you work in a gun shop, you don't dare do that, otherwise you might just lose a customer, and writers aren't any different, a proper technical comparison is not the same as a plain bashing...I'd criticize any writer for doing it.
So condem me all you will...That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it....As long as writers like John B., Mike V., Phil S., and others keep up their good work, I'll keep reading Rifle / Handloader.....and I won't miss you-know- who !