I lost my desire to read any more of Ross's writings after he mindlessly bad-mouthed the 458 Mag.
Articles like that by any writer probably make people like Phil Shoemaker laugh !
High time he found another occupation...

The onlything mindless is mistating his writings on the 458 win mag. He justifiably describes the 458 win mag as being a sorry excuse for the NE rounds it was designed to duplicate. The case is too small to hold sufficient powder and operate in hot climates with loaded with 500 gr bullets.

If you read his article on the 458 Lott in Rifle, he clearly states that the 458 win mag was never as bad as it's harshest critics state.

The truth is the 458 win mag should have been the 450 Watts, which predates the 458 win mag by a few years, and is full 2.85" long case, and the Lott by a few decades.

I also miss Ross's articles, covering obscure subjects, and presenting his opinions, which often ruffle the fethers of sensitive types.

I also concur with Alan about those who produce, and those who would rather critisize others rather then own up to their own shortcomings.