Originally Posted by Bighorn
My beloved Wby mkv .257 usually gets to make the trip for whitetails, especially when hunting over wide open hay or grain fields.
However- some opportunities are at much closer ranges, such as stand hunting in more timbered areas.
I'm thinking that a lite Bob, pushing 100 gr. bullets at 3000+ speed, would be the perfect complement to my Roy, for whitetail.
Any experience, comments, or recommendations?

Huh, are these trick questions? confused wink
The Bob works just fine up close or way out. I've killed a few antelope at over 350 yards with the Bob, and deer up close at less than 35 yards with Ned's dandy.
Like this W/T with my custom Browning 1885 Lo-Wall:

[Linked Image]

IMHO, the Bob is perfect for antelope and deer, and it doesn't seem to matter what type of bullet you shoot. For example, I've had plenty of success with conventional cup and core bullets like a 100 grain Sierra, or with 100 gr Nosler Partitions, and now with my fav Bob bullet - the 100 gr Nosler Ballistic Tip. Usually, a very good load with any of these 3 bullets in a 257 Bob is approximately 46 grains of H-4350.

You should give a good Bob a fair trial, you just might end up leaving the 257 Roy in the safe, and never looking back...

Pursuit may be, it seems to me, perfect without possession.
Robert Kelley Weeks (1840-1876)