One one hand a cartridge can be 'good' and still not be a commercial success. Thus saying that about the 257R or the 358W is just a dig at the rounds. They work and make somebody happy.

I still think the .358W is cool as a woods cartridge for the way I use it. The rifle can be a Featherweight and the round about optimum for smaller big game in the woods. Others call their 257R "The Bob" and say they love it! So it goes, we all have favorites.

As to the 257R on deer I feel that one could use a more powerful round. Of course there is some tiny person somewhere who can't shoot a deer without one or someone else who can't afford a second gun.

At least it's legal for deer in most places. It is way ahead of the .22 deer guns on that.

I just got back from hunting today. It's kind of hot out here at 86F. I saw two turkeys but no chucks. I brought a favorite 30-06 along loaded with 155 VLD's for coyotes and a .17HMR for shots where noise would matter. A 257R would have been fine as well. It's just that I have had a 243 since 1957 and I have no want for a 257R.

[Linked Image]

All guns should be locked up when not in use!