Good posts Jeff....all true.

The Roberts was the second or third CF rifle I owned,a pre 64 M70 with the 24" barrel and I used it several years shooting woodchucks in New England.

Later friends and I built a bevy of the things and they saw action for more woodchucks here, then found their way on deer and bear hunts in New England,and antelope and mule deer in in Wyoming, Colorado, Texas, and gawd remembers where else.If you told my rancher friends in Wyoming the cartridge was inadequate as a mule deer and antelope cartridge, they'd think you were nuts.They shoot elk with them.

I killed my biggest ever pronghorn with one in Wyoming at about 400 yards,along with many others.

A 75 HP at 3400 fps leaves chunks of woodchucks,87 gr at 3300 knocks them for a loop,and a good 100-120 gr bullet through the chest of a deer of any size flat kills them.We know this from having done it, not read about it.

That pre 64 was heavy, but not the rifles I built or bought later on.Today there are Hawkeyes and Kimbers of reasonable weight.If you can't kill medium game effectively with one of these chambered in a Roberts,a guy needs to look elsewhere for the problem.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.