Originally Posted by Savage_99
While Ned Roberts was a fine Schuetzen rifleman and a good chuck hunter as well I have no interest in .25" rifles for hunting.

The bullets are too big and heavy to be ricochet resistant and too small to shoot big game with. It's just stunt shooting to shoot big game with small bullets.

Thus the .257 Roberts died out when riflemen discovered that it was best at nothing.

A buddy from long ago had a 722 chambered for the little .257R. He was poor and that cheap rifle was all he could afford. He was up at the camp in VT and hunting with us and some hunter walks by him in the woods and asks what he is shooting. When the hunter hears its a .257 he goes into why the 30-06 is superior in every way.

The expert finally leaves and a buck walks by my old buddy and he shoots it with the .257R.

The buck falls dead and the expert comes back down the hill to see what happened. My buddy begins to dress out the buck and the guts spill out and the expert throws up! grin
How do you reconcile saying that .25 bullets are too small for big game and a stunt at the beginning of the post only to follow it with the story about the effectiveness of the .257R?