Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
Originally Posted by dogzapper

Here are some photos:

[Linked Image]

Great looking setup, DZ. I have a Stag lower and a Timney trigger, that will eventually get mated to a Noveske 18" upper like yours. I'm thinking all-around hunting 5.56...

Friend Tex,

The balance of my little S&W with the 14�-inch pencil barrel is superb for down-the-hall two-legged critter killing. I was a bit worried about the balance of this one ... adding 3�-inches and a considerably heavier barrel (the diameter at 18-inches is .740", so we're looking at about a four-contour tube).

Here are the precise stats: The rifle weighs exactly seven pounds, six ounces. The balance point is not at the front of the trigger guard, nor is it at the front of the magazine well ... it is right in the middle of the mag well. And by-damn, the balance feels PERFECT.

Add a Leupold 3.5-10X40, a LaRue LT-1-4 mount and a short-mag of twenty rounds ... We'll have a perfectly-balanced rifle that weighs slightly over eight and one-half pounds. The resultant rifle is heavy enough to be steady for long-range kills, yet light enough that I can hump a few miles with it.

Even better, I have not duplicated my hall sweeper; I have a dedicated short range carbine that handles like a whip AND this new Noveske-based rifle is an up-to-400-yards chopper.

All in all, this is not a bad combination of rifles.

God Bless,

Steve

"God Loves Each Of Us As If There Were Only One Of Us"
Saint Augustine of Hippo - AD 397