Originally Posted by dogzapper

Originally Posted by 68W
Originally Posted by jimmyp

Steve, you had any luck with the Sierra 65 grain game king? That bullet over varget is simply amazingly accurate in my Colt 6720. I have 200 more being delivered this week, and want to shoot them at little 150-170 pound White tails in October. Thoughts??

Mr. Dogzapper, I'm very interested in this question for you too. I have some of these loaded and intended for wolves in Idaho, but am considering also using it on deer in October out of my 16" M4 configuration.

As a follow up, I also loaded some 70gr Speer Semi-spitzers for the same purpose. They are both equally accurate. What do you think of these two choices for the 2 game animals I mentioned? Which would you (or any of you) choose? Thanks in advance.

68W

Hi, 68W,

As you know, I make absolutely no claims to being an AR expert.

Having said that, I've quite succesfully bonked mule deer and prairie goats with the .223. I used my Kimber M-84, quite possibly the most hand engraved and gold-inlayed rifle to leave Kimber of Oregon (serial number: "Steve's .223") to do so. After a lot of thought, I used the 55-grain Spire Point Hornady.

And, to be quite honest, I usually forgot I was shooting a .223 and simply held and shot at the critters like I was carrying my .280 Ackley. They all simply fell to the ground, most sincerely dead.

Just a personal thing, but I am not a Sierra fan on big game. The guys and gals at Sierra are wonderful and they make a fabulous target and varmint bullet, but I've had some problems with them on big game.

The Speer 70-grain would be excellent.

I'd also try the Winchester 64-grain Power Point ... Actually, today, this would be my absolutely first choice for deer and wolf choice in the .223/5.56. And my old standby, the Hornady 55-grain Spire Point, would be super, as well.

Good Luck; and please take a lot of photos of your kills, so you can share them with us.

God Bless,

Steve

Very nice rifle!

I went as cheap as I possibly could and bought a CMMG Bargain Bin 16" flattop a year or two back, 623.00 shipped to my FFL. I didn't expect accuracy better than 2" but with 52gr Blitzkings it was easy to shoot .75"-1" five shot groups.

I have an Aero Precision matched upper and lower sitting in the safe to build a rifle more in line with your Noveske. The CMMG will get a flip up rear sight, and the 3x9 will be replaced with 1x4 or dot type sight and it will be used for what it was originally designed.

Anyhow, I read a lot of positive reviews on the 64gr Powerpoint so I bought a 100 with a bulk bullet order and I had terrible luck with the AR and my Stevens. I was not pleased because I wanted to hunt with the last year.

My daughter used the Stevens and a 69gr MK to take a doe at 50 yards or so, the bullet worked great.

The 69's shoot great in both rifles with 9T barrels.

Dave