Originally Posted by Hondo64d
Steve,

Great looking rig. I just picked up a Stiller lower yesterday, figuring I had better get an AR while I still can. Planning on a VLTOR upper, but after that, still putting it together in my head.

Kinda trying to build a 'tweener. Accurate enough for distant coyotes, but portable enough for cleaning house. #1 priority for me is rock solid reliability, after that, precision followed by handiness.

Thinking about a medium weight 16" barrel. I want a free floating forend, but not rifle length. Does anyone make a medium length free float forend with some picatinny, but not completely covered in it?

Probably just going to run an A2 buttstock.

Going to run a low powered variable, in the 1-4 range. I see lots of mounts and was wondering why I couldn't just run rings directly on the upper. What am I missing there?

Also thinking I'm going to go with a Geissle trigger.

Your thoughts?

John

You are basically describing what is known in some parts of the military as the "Recce" M4. It's what was wanted until the Army got involved 10 years ago.

This is what became of that-
[Linked Image]

18in Douglas Stainless Match Barrel, rifle length free float forend, two stage match trigger, and a 2.5-8x36mm Leupold scope. Some use the NF 2.5-10x scope as well. The SPR/MK12 MOD 0 and MOD 1 are probably the killingest small arms in the military's inventory for the last decade. Using MK262 ammo (77gr SMK) they are unstoppable at 400 yards, usable to 600, and can be pushed out past 800 when necessary.

I had a bunch of time on those guns and thought them the pinnacle of the M16 family of weapons until I got behind the 16in Recce.

[Linked Image]

There is no "standard" for the Recce's. That was my first and the one I used the most usually with the same 2.5-8x scope or a 1-4x. The 16in hits the same targets with the same holds as the longer SPR yet is easier in buildings. One day I put a 13in handguard on a 14.5in M4 and it wasn't long before I mounted a scope and started shooting. Now my preference is a 14.5 inch with 12-14 inch forend, Geissele SSA-E, low powered variable 1-6x or 1-8x optic, and collapsable stock. Preferably with a suppressor..... grin

This is the SOPMOD Block II M4-

[Linked Image]

It has my Eotech and a borrowed magnifier on it. It is completely capable out to 600M on 12in plates with a different optic.

These days for duty, competition and personal use I prefer a 14.5in gun with a rifle length free float tube on it. The 14.5's with match ammo will hit the 600 yard targets with basically the same hold offs as the 18 and 16in guns, but are much easier to use in cramped spaces. The only reason I would go with a 16 in now is if someone didn't want to weld a muzzle device on a 14.5in.

Hondo,

One thing I absolutely must have, and you'll notice one all three of the rifles above is a rifle length forend. Not sure why you would want one shorter? I like them to come all the way up to the brake/flash hider with just enough room to clear a suppressor. That does a couple of things- mainly it lets you grip out further on the handguard to "drive" the gun with more control, it gives you room for an optic, BUIS, flashlight, and laser, and it ensures that when shooting on/around barricades and different rests that it is the forend touching and not the barrel.