Originally Posted by evanhill
According to his comments below his blog post, the move to Chinese production (overseen by a Japanese company - interesting historical grist there) will not result in lower cost of goods -- but rather higher quality, quicker time to market, and more volume. The key factor there is probably more volume. You are backed up with orders, money just waiting to come through the door, all you have to do is be able to fill those orders and you can make it happen with a switch to a different manufacturer. I get it.

I've also heard (and made at certain points in my life) the line of reasoning put forth by pka45. That's what it is - a line of reasoning. Not fact, simply an opinion. It's up for debate, just like the idea that made in America is economically better is up for debate. I've sat on both sides of that fence more than once myself.

Just right now, I'm of the mind that if I have an opportunity to encourage economic development closer to home, that's what I'm inclined to do. Just like I'd rather eat locally sourced food if I can. It may cost a little more in dollars but presumably I'm buying more than just the product itself with those dollars.

The beautiful thing is that we're all free to vote with our dollars on the issue.

Evan - how refreshing to see an internet discussion involving a disagreement handled in a respectful manner. Thanks.

Originally Posted by MarcTaylor
You learned nothing from the ratification of the North American Free Trade Agreement, evidently.

The model you describe only converts U.S. taxpayers into welfare recipients and increases the quality of life of the foreign worker.

And just because Sitka or Kuiu is produced in China does not mean that it will be cheaper PRICED. I looked at a Sitka top the other day that was $329.oo at a big box store. When they were in their first year of production, that same top was $190.

I say where we screwed up was when Mom thought she was too good to work a sewing job anymore. Or some UNION convinced her she should make a "living wage" at that sewing job.

Marc - I think that your opinion that free trade turns citizens into welfare recipients is short-sighted, but I also think that it's an opinion that will not be convinced otherwise. Much like my opinion that less government intrusion into my (or anyone's) life is generally a good thing for all. Guess that's where we differ.

I think that moving production overseas does result in "cheaper prices" - or at least prices that don't rise as much/as quickly. Why else would a business move overseas? In a rare case and for a short time without competition, a business may be able to pocket the difference, but with competition, that's unsustainable (isn't the free market a beautiful thing?). I do agree with you on the union issue though. I just wasn't going to bring it up, ha. (Isn't it amazing that non-union car companies in the US didn't have any financial issues? OK, I've probably said too much...)

Pete