I was stationed at Ft Wainwright in 69 and 70. During February of 69 we participated in the Acid Test Army maneuvers. We slept in Artic Tents and had our US Army artic sleeping bags. These consisted of an inner and an outer bag with a filling of mixed feathers and down with more feathers than down. We also had Yukon stoves for heat. I came in off of guard duty one night when it was around -50F and pulled one of my tent mates off of the Yukon stove which was cherry red. He had burned all of the way thru his outer bag and half way thru his inner bag but he was pissed at me as he was finally getting warm. One morning I woke up to a tent with no heat, the Yukon stove had run out of fuel. I got up and removed the Jerry can and it was so cold the neoprene hose going to the stove snapped in too. As it was around 5:00 am and the supply tent was not open I got the only replacement hose I could find, the one supplying the latrine tent with heat. There was sure a lot of griping that morning around the crapper.
MJS