Well, I wrote a long and rather intelligent (if I say so myself) discussion on this however my computer tossed it into the cybergarbage can so I will do my best to rewrite it.

Kutenay,

You and I agree on a lot of things regarding Canada's natural resources which is why I am surprised at your reaction to this deal. I view this as a reason for Canada to begin developing finished products for export, rather then raw goods such as dimensional lumber. It's also a good reason for Canada to diversify it's markets into new countries. Like 8ball said, a huge amount of our exports go to the US. Diversifying into other countries will not only have a stabilizing effect on our own economy, it will prevent our livelyhoods from being as effected by US trade decisions and politics. This combined with the surge in the Canadian dollar against the US currency will likely result in Canada either exporting more to the Pacific Rim countries and Europe, or developing finished products for export rather then raw goods. However, we can not overreact to this decision by doing the things you suggest (rescinding NAFTA, pulling out of NORAD, taxing Americans going to Alaska, and blocking the Alaska pipeline.) To do these things immediately would invite economic disaster on Canada. Until we are no longer dependent on the export of commodities, we cannot simply shut the door to the US and try and go it alone. The key here is developing an economy that is not dependent on natural resources alone, but diversified with finished products for export. We live in a global economy and export must happen for Canada to become the leader that we both want it to be. As strong as our nationalistic feelings are, we can't afford to not deal globally. And that includes the US.

SS

"To be glad of life because it gives you a chance to love and to work and to play and to look up at the stars. To be satisfied with your possessions but not content with yourself until you have made the best of them."
-Henry Van Dyke