Originally Posted by TomA
I did not intend to pee in your cheerios, but after rereading my post I can understand why it came across that way. Just never thought of weight of a whitetail being a goal.

As far as Shockeys outfitting goes, I always see a fresh bale of alfalfa in front of his stands on the TV shows. Is this a common practice?

A lot of northern states have "big buck" contests based on weight, not antler size.

I'll use northern MN for an example because thats where I have the most experience. You can shoot a 5.5yo deer with a 110" rack but he'll dress out at 190-250#. That said, you can also shoot a 3.5 to 6 or 7 or 8.5 yo old buck with a 190" rack that dresses that same. NE MN has some moster deer in body weight. Typically, they'll be beautiful 8 or 10 bucks that don't see a lot of people.

If you've never seen one from up there, I think you'd be shocked on how big the body really is. They get realy long. As in 6' or more in length.

I was equally shocked when my FIL shot a WI 10pt the first year I hunted there, and it dressed out at 138#. It was short and skinny with a beautiful rack. Come to think of it....I like women that way too.

Last edited by tzone; 01/16/14.

Camp is where you make it.