Originally Posted by goalie
Originally Posted by MILES58

In East Central Minnesota you can't expect a big rack to go along with a 300 Lb body. Some deer that heavy will have itty-bitty racks you could catch a cantaloup in. Big racks in that area tend to be pretty uncommon. You see big racks once in a while, but I wouldn't go looking for one there.

The biggest deer I have shot was well over 200 pounds dressed and had a pretty dinky rack.

It's an interesting experience when you start weighing the boned-out meat to make sausage and realize that you have a good 20-30% more meat by weight than a usual "big" deer that you've processed.

I mean interesting in a good way. smile

I've shot two that were over 200 dressed. The first one was in 2002, 8pt 138" buck that dressed at 227#. That was horse like. I had to drag it out of a nasty spruce bog for a few hundred yards just to get at it with some help. He was aged by the DNR at the registration station as 4.5yo

The other was 2012. An 8p buck that dressed at 204#. His rack was small, probaly 90-100," 15" wide. Also came out some nasty stuff, tag alder/cedar swamp. (see a theme here)

Camp is where you make it.