StrayDog: JDK covered it.

I don't know precise reasons but tough winters have a lot to do with it. There is a lot of logging activity and I guess it affects wintering habitat, which is hyper critical in the northern forests and really what determines deer survival up here. Our herds are really only as good as the winter habitat.

In some areas of NH, like up around Pittsburg, late in the seasons, you can actually see the migration routes as deer come out of the back country headed for wintering grounds near Mt Shatney; same mid state around Groton where I have hunted. Those deer are very single minded in their destinations and will not leave those winter areas until spring.

What would help? I dunno....maybe fewer coyotes, more winter habitat, more second growth and edge habitat(?) milder winters? It's just tough country and does not have the fertility of farm country and winters take their toll.

LDhunter notice I said the "toughest" that I have personally hunted smile but I have not hunted the south, and know by looking at it that the cover is pretty dense there, too...although I suspect you boys just have more deer than we do..

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.