Well....when it comes to big whitetails no one I know has been around more than Skane. would listen carefully to what he says and get up to Saskatchewan. smile

If I were a Vegas oddsmaker, and based on what I have seen, I would say that if you don't live where 300 pound (aka really large)whitetails live, you have to travel to get them.

And Skane brings up an excellent point about the "odds" of success, which I think will be higher in the prairie provinces than possibly anywhere else.

The Maine record for a field dressed buck is 353 pounds IIRC; in a harvest of about 21,000 deer, only 600-700 dressed in excess of 200 pounds. What these numbers don't tell you are the large number of bucks that will dress from 160 to over 190 pounds.

But the success rate for ANY deer generally runs about 10%...for a legal buck it will be far lower. It is not an easy place to hunt, and I have never been anywhere continent wide where it has been more difficult.

I recall reading years back that the number of B&C bucks as a percentage of the harvest was far higher in Saskatchewan and Alberta than anywhere else on the continent; Dick Morris pegged the region as one of very few places on the continent that a guy could reasonably hold out for a 150+ scoring buck; few other places were mentioned. I know antlers are not body weights but it is also axiomatic that big antlered northern deer are generally big bodied as well.

For "best" odds of personal success I'd still lean to Canada.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.