Originally Posted by battue
Originally Posted by moosemike
Originally Posted by battue
You're saying you wouldn't use a .30-06 with a NBT under somewhere
around 100 yards?

I didn't say anything like that and I don't know where you're getting that?

You are right and I didn't say it just right. However, you did say NBTs don't hold together up close. I asked how close and in what cartridge. Your reply was 100 and the .30-06.

Soooo, I didn't and don't know when a NBT not holding together becomes unreliable for your needs on Whitetails and asked the question. (Notice I asked a question. I didn't state it as a fact.)

Again, admittedly I was fumbling with myself on how to put the question.

Darrick just reported of sending one essentially thru an Elk at 175 and I think you could expect the same on Whitetails out of a .30-06. So on an upfront hit at 100, I'm thinking it should and will hold together more than adequately.

I have shot a bull elk right in the elbow joint of the front leg at 100 yards with a 180 BT at a 3300+ fps muzzle velocity. The bullet was recovered under the far side hide after shredding the vitals and penetrating the ribs, and meat of the off side leg.
Anytime I hear someone say BT's are anything other than one of the finest big game bullets made I immediately think they are full of crap, not knowledgeable or both.

Last edited by BWalker; 02/25/14.