I loaded up a few rounds (26) of .223 and headed to the range. I used the OAL and the brass was trimmed etc. When I was at the range and closed the bolt on the loaded round, the bolt closed extremely tight. It was harder than normal and this was from several samples of the load rounds. Could this be because the case was not sized right? The shoulders may have been pushed out too far?

BTW this morning I went ahead and loaded my 270Win but I did not have the case to use the OAL so I used the black marker on a fired case that was used in this rifle. The loaded round brass was trimmed etc. And it shot fine but apparently was not on paper at 100 yards and this rifle was bore sighted. Not sure what the problem is with this loaded round in NBT 130gr. but I will look into this too. However I brought this up in this post because I used the black marker to find my OAL and this worked fine.

Maybe how I used the OAL gauge may be the issue with the 223Rem loaded round because the bolt was hard to close? Would the black market method be more accurate? And do I need a fired brass from that rifle to use the black market method? Not sure I have a fired round from the 223Re rifle.

I am trying to figure what is causing the bolt to close hard on the 223Rem rifle? Do you think its the brass sizing? BTW I got this brass from someone here in classifieds but the brass was resized. Any ideas? I could try to find a fired brass (does it need to be from this rifle) and use the black market method and see if this is different from the OAL I got but I do not think this is the problem. More likely it is the brass sizing problem?