There have been parts of my life where I did a lot of long range chuck shooting. And every year I usually (and still do) put 1K rounds thru my fav open country rifle (mag action M700).

That old rifle is on its 8th tube, so I've been putting some rounds thru it. Several of the tubes have been in the 340 wby,the 300 Win and Wby and the big 7's.

I use a barrel with a bit of heft to it, it is a 4.5 weight Schneider and usually cut between 23" to 25". It will usually measure around .7" at the mzl and come in around 9 lbs all ready to rock.

People who are used to beatings with other rifles with similar rounds are always amazed at how user friendly this rig is when it is set up this way. I've had more than a few days in my life where I put 100 rounds thru it.

I was very fortunate early in my career to hang around with 3 gents older than I that advocated building rifles in this manner. Until I learned how to have one put together I continued to get beat up, didn't enjoy shooting the bigger rounds much and hence did not shoot as good as I could/should etc.

I shot out one Krieger tube in 300 (Win at first and then punched to Wby to see the diff in speed etc) at rock chucks and shooting at long range and as much big game as I could get in.

The two bullets that I used the most for this were the 165 Sierra HPBT and the 200 Sierra Bt. They both worked well and shot very well. The main diff to me was I could feel the bump a bit more when laying on the turf and shooting the heavier slugs. Not enough to ruin my form or concentration but I could tell you which one had run down the tube after dropping the hammer.

For game I used in that 300 tube (when it was a WM and a Wby) the 165 Sierra BTHP and the 200 Noz Pt.

Sorry to be rambling here, it is raining catz and dogz and I am bored and trying to get to the outdoors to chase bruins.

Make it your best day.

Mark D

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy