Mark: Correct on all counts. 24" vs 26". But I have played around quite a bit with the 300 Win Mag, but much more so with the Weatherby. MY 3300 fps load is 84gr of 7828 and I test all my loads in the hot ( above 90 degF) Florida heat. THe only thing I differ with your post is the RUM which I equate closer to the 30/378 and I've never tried those two. Hey, just like brunettes or blondes, I prefer the Weatherby and that I am guilty of I just like the caliber and have taken lots of game with it. The 300 Winnie makes more sense to be sure. Oh yeah one more observation: I am not a velocity chaser either. I just happened to arrive at that 3300 fps load, but my "go to" load is a 180gr TSX (all I shoot out of my 300s are 180s) 80.5gr od RL 22 and Remington Brass. The same load using Weatherby brass yields about 3185. Guess I got brainwashed by reading too many Weatherby guides as a kid. jorge

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”