The freebore issue with Weatherbys is not what is used to be. When Roy first started loading his stuff, all he had available was IMR4350, H-4831 7 Norma 205.

Later when MRP came along it got a bit better but the lack of slow burining powders was reason he had to long throat his rifles, which by the way I've never found to hinder accuracy. While I'm not an anal retnetive handloader, all of my Weatherbys are sub MOA shooters. But I digress.

Newer Weatherbys' throats are all somewhat shorter than older ones as a result of newer, slower powders so the "excessive freebore" alarum was much to do about nothing back the and even less so now.

And MArk, what you say is somewhat true in that "us Weatherby aficionados" are not part (thank god!) of the paper-punching "accuracy-uber-alles" crowd. I disagree that most Weatherbys see little use, maybe at the target range, but certainly not in the hunting fields of the world. Your "safe Queen" postulate is a generalization based on anecdotal evidence and not fact.

To a great extent, and not by any means cast in stone, what sets Weatherby owners apart is fiscal abundance and the well-to-do tend to go on more guided hunts than the average Joe, but that has nothing to do with the rifle's capabilities as a hunting tool and in my modest opinion, Weatherbys excel in that capacity. jorge

Last edited by jorgeI; 06/13/06.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”