Ah come on- there is day and day out a bit over 100 fps diff between the two rounds. Some rifles will be a bit more and some a bit less. But generally when both are loaded to the max there will not be much diff.

A person who can handle a WM can handle a Wby, there aint a hill of beans diff between the two.

Keep them in similar rifle types and one will never know which one they are working with

Mark D [/quote]

I hand load and I have no problems reaching 3300 fps in the 300 Weatherby. The best I could wring out of my Model 70 (24" barrel) was 3055 fps. As to whether it makes a difference on real live game, there is only anecdotal evidence, but what Allen says rings true, I just like the Weatherby. jorge

PS: factory ammo clocks right at 3245-3260 in my 300 Weatherby [/quote]

Jorge- a couple of quick things about comparing loads, IMO you need to always use the same tube lengths. I noticed that you mentioned your M70 @ 24". Have you done any comparing of speeds when both the tubes wore (nice spl?) the same length?

A couple of things about that, first off it sort of sounds like you're comparing a 24" WM ot the 26" Wby. Yes or no? If so that is not a good test.

Secondly, have you worked with more than one WM and or was that 24" M70 your one and only and I guess the same Q for the Wby.
It is kind of a dangerous thing to do but the way I read that it sounds like you're only worked with the one. But, assumption is a dangerous thing to do. So I am curious but have you worked with more than one or no?

Also if possible it is really nice to take a certain tube work up to max speed as a WM and then punch it to Wby and do the same. That has for me always been the best way to get a true handle on how much more juice one can get. And yep I have done this b4 on several 300's and have found that pretty much day in and day out 100 fps and or a bit more and some a bit less is the outcome.

I have no doubt that you're pushing 3300 with the Wby ( I am also assuming you're talking 180's), I have long ago found out that if I want I can make a round do about whatever I want.

Also, I have found there to be many different thoughts on this whole speed and pressure deal and each and everyone of use goes about it differently.
And Weatherby is for darn sure not exempt from this. IMO they tend to push things pretty darn hard. But that is their choice.

Lastly, I've kind of gotten to the place in life where I tend to try to read the peoples personality type and then suggest which round to go with. Meaning, if they are the type that need/want/lust for all the speed they can get then I always suggest the bigger engine.

I have less and less time in life for those that want to make a round run this and or that speed and by God they are gonna get there.

And that is why more and more I suggest either the WM or the RUM and not the Wby so much anymore.

Not at all by the way putting you in this category or any other category for that matter.

Personally I like speed, I also like to keep the round in the realm of what years has taught me is prudent to have it running. And trust me I've not always went about life this way, but am slowly but surely pulling my ears back a bit.

Life for me is just too short and it is not worth it to try to push a round a bit more faster to get to this and or that speed.

To end this wabbit chasing I firmly believe that 100 fps is day in and day out the diff between the two. Take a look and see the diff if you sight them both exactly the same @ 100 and then see what the diff is at 400 or 500. It aint worth it is all I can say.

Make it your best day, and by all means if your Wby turns your crank and you think it is better than a WM then use it.

Mark D

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy