7STW, Well said. To me it would be a matter of which action you are going to use. If the action length is adequate to handle 300WBY then go that way or 300RUM (my new favorite small bore) If you want to use a medium length action then go 300Win. In any of the above scenarios you will be very well served. I do, however, like a littel more weight in my rifles than what you are setting out in your parameters. If you are going to stay in that range then the 300Win probably makes the most sense. I have shot a lot of game with the 300WBY and none with the Win but I can see where in an 8lb. rifle the slightly less case capacity and powder charges of the 300Win would be a plus. As an aside, 300WBY ammo is readialy found in Alaska and Africa for the most part. Also, I have seen guys use 300WIN ammo in a 300 WBY rifle and it works just fine. What you get is a fireformed 300Mag case with a real short neck but accuracy and performance have been quite good where I have been around to observe.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500