Stixk,
<br>
<br>If you are simple, then I am a non-argumentative guy [Linked Image].
<br>
<br>I too am impressed with accuracy and velocity of my 338 RUM. It shoots as well as many smaller chamberings, and should impart a lot of "whump." It is one of my favorite rifles. Of course, don't keep them anymore if they don't achieve a most favored status (MFS). I always thought of my 338 RUM as an "any range" elk chambering.
<br>
<br>I guess what weighs most on my mind is Mr Runyan's experience with "fast" (2700-2800 fps) 416s and 300 grain Barnes bullets on big bears. Randy Books verified this info to me on the phone last December. In the article I read he told how he had killed some 40 big Alaskan Brownies with 416/300 grain combo. He describes that combo as literally "flatteneing" these big critters with well placed body shots.
<br>
<br>I have heard and read of many shots from 30 caliber chamberings being less than impressive on these critters. The 338 bore (from 338-06 on up) stories I've come across have described reliable performance.
<br>
<br>Since all of my info is from "research," I was hoping you could share an experience or two on how a couple of these chamberings work in comparision to each other. I certainly don't see any of these as bad choices, but they do vary in the degree of specialization.
<br>
<br>My "gut" feel--which is based solely on research--is that the bigger the bullet (of proper construction), of decent velocity and being well placed, the more satisfactory the results. I also see a point of dimishing returns, and the 338 bore may well be that point.
<br>
<br>However, my "gut feel" here isn't anywhere nearly as valid as yours in this area. Now I can tell you a 300 grain 416 caliber bullet with a MV of 2750 really messes up a hog..............
<br>
<br>Of course, all this will hopefully give Avagadro some perspective on what rifle he should buy next. I know from personal experience a 375 H&H recoils significantly less than a 338 RUM. Based on my "gut feel," I believe a 375 H&H will be better on big bears and Moose (not to mention Cape Buffalo) than would a 338 bore chambering. Therefore, it makes sense to me for him to get a 375 H&H. The 338 RUM is not an extremely common chambering outside of us rifle loonies here. I personally bought 500 pieces of brass to make sure I'd always have some if the 338 RUM never caught on. The 338 RUM takes some getting used to, where the 375 H&H is a pussycat.
<br>
<br>However, based on your last post, it seems that you have seen ALL these chamberings work well. If that is the case, then I guess Avagadro should just pick the one that seems the "coolest" to him personally.
<br>
<br>Blaine