Spike wrote...
<br>
<br><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr><p>if it were me and I had both with me a .375H&H and a .338Ultra stuffed with 210 X's and a big beautiful black bear appeared in front of me at 310 yards...I'd definately choose the .338 Ultra!<p><hr></blockquote>
<br>
<br>At those ranges, I can see the preference for the 338RUM, but that's the only reason.
<br>
<br>Let's face it, using the bullets of equal construction, at velocities which result in complete penetration (and most likely an exit wound) there is no reason the larger caliber would not be a better choice.
<br>
<br>The 210gr .338 "X" bullet has a S.D. of .263 and a B.C. of .471.
<br>
<br>In .375 caliber, the 250gr "X" bullet is listed as S.D. of .254 and the B.C. is .450. Slightly worse numbers than the 210gr .338 bullet. But, at 270grs, the .375 bullet is listed at an S.D. of .275 and the B.C. is .503. Those numbers 'beat' the .338 bullet.
<br>
<br>I'm not into the number game myself, but I know some of you quote them frequently. Just thought I'd look them up and post them here.
<br>
<br>It may be possible, to bring the 338RUMs great velocity advantage into the equation, and there is something to that, but remember these bullets are going completely through the animals, so not all that 'energy' is being used.
<br>
<br>In fact, I'd venture to say that in the pure 'charging bear stopping mode' it may better for a bullet not to pass completely through the bear. In the 'stopper' mode, a blood trail means nothing. Having the bullet break as much bone as possible, dumping 100% of it's energy into the animal, and ending up lodged under the far side hide may be the best possible result.
<br>
<br>That might make an interesting debate?
<br>
<br>Just for more info, I'll mention again the details of my brown bear hunt a couple weeks ago. My buddy shot the bear with a 338 Win Mag loaded with 230gr Fail Safes (factory load) from about 90-100 yards. I suspect that woud be near equal to 338RUM velocities at 300 yards?
<br>
<br>That bullet entered the bears left eye socket, traveled through the head (missing the brain), part of the lower jaw, the neck, into the chest area, through the body, and ended up buried in the right rear leg. No major bones hit. The bear was still standing when I shot a second later. Although it had turned 90 degrees to it's left, and was looking to escape into the nearby treeline.
<br>
<br>While it's probably more due to it's injuries than anything else... When it was hit in the chest with a .416 370gr bullet at a measely 2100fps (or so) it hit the ground immediately. That bullet did exactly what I described above. It dumped all that energy into the body and 'stopped' that bear in it's tracks.
<br>
<br>Don't get the wrong idea guys! I also want a super-duper' 338 caliber rifle for black bear hunting. But in my own opinion, there's still no substitute for cubic inches (or big bore bullets) when it comes to knocking these critters down right now.
<br>
<br>Now that I've stirred up the hornets nest, I think I'll run for cover! [Linked Image]

Brian