General Big Game Jump to new posts
Re: New Mexico private land DIY antelope advice… Magnum_Bob 13 minutes ago
Lots of cash.
2 352 more...
Ask The Gunwriters Jump to new posts
Re: Pressure CX v LRX v TTSX 41rem 13 minutes ago
Originally Posted by BobbyTomek
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
The GMX was essentially the CX without a plastic tip.

Actually, many of the GMX bullets did have a plastic tip. I really liked the .30 cal/110 grain version designed for Blackout speeds. From a 24" 30-30 Contender barrel, I ran them at 2805 fps. They were absolutely deadly on hogs and coyotes and opened much more quickly -- and much wider -- than typical monos. I used them in a mildly-loaded .300 Savage and a .308 WCF as well.

The 110 grain CX that replaced it performs similarly but not identically, either -- at least not in my usage.

Here's a 110 grain GMX taken from a large hog. I'd have to dig through notes for details, but I know I used the 2805 fps/30-30 load and that the distance was around 200 yards.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

I'd be interested in your load data specifically in the 308 WCF, I'd like to work up a low recoiling load for a Savage 99 with peep sights for close range black bear. My 180 grain Speer Mag Tip loads with Varget kick too much for my 66 year old arthritic right shoulder in that lightweight carbine.

26 2,571 more...
Free Classifieds Jump to new posts
Re: NIB Zeiss V4 3-12X56 Ngrumba 13 minutes ago
Originally Posted by Live2hunt941
That’s a lot of good glass for $650 I’ve got 4 of the illuminated versions of this scope with the e60 reticle and the glass is GREAT I seldom have to use the illumination on mine

Yes it is. Somebody’s gonna be very happy.
4 272 more...
IC B2
Hunter's Campfire Jump to new posts
Re: John Henry , a steel driving man ! slumlord 14 minutes ago
We lived kitty corner to him. He used to always help me get my chain back onto my bike sprocket. He put in a good word for me at Johns Manville in ‘46

He helped daddy dig a french drain. Then we all went pheasant hunting with Kristy Noem and had chocolate chrp ice cream at Al’s Diner with Potsy from Happy Days.

He used to raise some of them 6ft tall boar goats
9 595 more...
Re: Glock 26 mag & holster deaner20 14 minutes ago
Bump
2 206 more...
Varmint Rifles Jump to new posts
Re: RIP .17 Remington? GoWyo 14 minutes ago
Howdy Steve,

With the silliness that 700s are going for these days. You might gain a bit more profit by putting it on an auction site.

IMR 4320 was my go to powder for the 17 rem. It was kind of universal in .17 land as were Rem 7.5 BR primers. I still have a few pounds of that, several k primers and Berger, RP, Hornady 25 gr HP’s. All which indicate that Im not shooting enough.

Show us a pic of your 700!
15 1,116 more...
Re: FS Jack O'Connor's Zeiss camera donsm70 15 minutes ago
I'll bet most of us will never see this come up for sale again!
GLWS.
2 139 more...
Re: Why I Hate Math Jcubed 16 minutes ago
I hate meth too.

Ruins lives...

/s
55 2,441 more...
Re: FS: Paper Patch Bullet Mold BPCS 16 minutes ago
DELETED.
1 156 more...
Re: WTS S&W Model 351 C & PD .22 Magnums CBinNH 18 minutes ago
351PD is sold.
The hammerless 351C is still available
10 1,523 more...
IC B3
Re: Union Take Dillonbuck 18 minutes ago
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
Originally Posted by jwp475
Originally Posted by garddogg56
Joe's first day in office he had 11K of my brothers laid off from the Keystone pipe line.A lot of us union tradesman arn't listening to the bull$hit leadership!😡💩🤡🤡🤡🤡

Exactly 💯

But your dues are paying for his re-election campaign.

No they are not, that is where you are dead wrong

Your local is not a part of a national?

Local 798 is part of the UA, but our Local doesn't use dues to support political candidates

But they kick up a payment to the national correct?

It’s like planned parenthood saying they don’t use taxpayers money to kill children. But the money they “don’t spend” on one thing frees up money to spend on the other thing.

Unions fund democratic campaigns.

The PACs are set aside money for political use.
Collected as such.

Consider it a beer fund.
From a side job you have to have because you can’t buy beer with your income.

It doesn’t free up wage earnings, because you couldn’t use them to buy beer.

My money does not go to the PAC.
About the only consolation I get, when they
“ Speak for tens of thousands of members”

Not sure how they know what we might want to say?
They sure as hell have never ask!

Often wish I was the type with the knowledge and ability to start a reform movement.
It would probably take off.
But then I’d commit suicide or get killed in a bungled robbery.

I
Am
Not
Suicidal!
65 2,583 more...
Re: Michigan get together 12344mag 20 minutes ago
Originally Posted by kappa8
+1 for tomorrow. Virgin. Pls be gentle. Including scopes.

Anything needed to be brung?

Denny is getting "elderly" he could probably use one of those mobility scooters.
136 14,395 more...
Re: Left hand Tikka AG PRIVATEER STOCK Dan D 22 minutes ago
$615
3 467 more...
Re: Price Check: Unfired NIB-Colt Delta Gold Cup Dixie_Rebel 23 minutes ago
Great looking pistol.

Someone will be very happy with it.
11 691 more...
Shotshells Jump to new posts
Re: Hodgdon Perfect Pattern Reviews? Kurt52 25 minutes ago
Just got 4 pounds of Perfect Pattern. Loaded up some 1180 fps 1oz reloads in 12 ga AAHS cases utilizing the Gray Claybuster 7/8 oz wad to get proper stack height. Soft shooting and breaks targets well so far on after a couple trips to the range. Not enough experience yet to make any further commentary.
1 191 more...
Food, Cooking, and Game Preparation Jump to new posts
Re: Canned fish??? srwshooter 25 minutes ago
I have canned trout and catfish. Makes good fish cakes
14 1,957 more...
WTS: 45-90 Buffalo Arms Ammo ChanceD 26 minutes ago
19 count, Buffalo Arms Co. factory loaded 45-90, black powder, loaded with 535gr. lead bullets. I took 1 round for my personal cartridge collection. Looking to sell these for $55.00 or best offer shipped.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
0 54 more...
Savage Collectors Jump to new posts
Re: NRA match 22 260Remguy 28 minutes ago
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Speaking in generalities, as I've never taken one of these bolts apart (if someone here doesn't pipe up I bet there's a YouTube video for doing it). Maybe try a third/fourth brand of ammo? Remember, the target ammo back when these were new was more often than not made with softer brass, and even copper, than what we have today-less resistant to firing pin strikes. (But in reality that's not exactly a legitimate issue.)

First thing I would investigate would be cleanliness. 90 years worth of dried oil/grease plus dirt could be binding things inside the bolt making it sluggish. If a good cleaning doesn't help, then the next thing I would look at is the shape and amount of protrusion of the firing pin tip. Not likely that wear could've effected it but you never know if someone may have mucked with it. Hopefully the mainspring isn't broken, again not likely but possible.

If you just can't get the bolt apart, at least flush it out with brake cleaner. Repeat as necessary until not much crud flushes out anymore. Then try firing it again. If you now get better ignition you at least know what the problem is and you then gotta get the thing apart to finish cleaning it out and then lightly oil it.

^^^^ THIS ^^^^
8 543 more...
Re: I’m from the government and here to help and BLOW UP YOUR HOUSE JoeBob 29 minutes ago
Blowing it up was safest for them. I mean, it wasn’t their house. Why would you expect a government kocksucker to take one extra scintilla of risk in soaking that dynamite with diesel and rendering it safe?
39 2,275 more...
Hunting Optics Jump to new posts
Re: Arken? Big Stick 33 minutes ago
Illumination is THE great equalizer and they do it well. Hint.

Just sayin'..............
40 3,040 more...
Re: Matt Gaetz - "I"m worried some Republican Colleagues will take a Bribe" There_Ya_Go 34 minutes ago
Originally Posted by Teal
Originally Posted by steve4102
If by some miracle Trump manages to get elected, The House will impeach him before Inauguration Day and the senate will convict, he will never be inaugurated win, lose or steal

How do you impeach someone who doesn't hold the job?

I can't get fired from Best Buy if I never had the job to begin with.

More likely scenario is that this time the election won't be certified, so Trump is never allowed to take office. Therefore, no impeachment required. The repercussions from either scenario is difficult to contemplate.
51 3,084 more...
Turkey Hunting Jump to new posts
Lessons learned from y 2024 hunt... Decoys, blinds, calling, and blindsEvening: Set up on humdinger 35 minutes ago
Hunted one evening, one day, and a 13 minute morning...

evening:
Set up on the plowed field 2 days after a heavy rain because thats where I have permission to hunt..
Nothing came out. Some loud putting on the creek bottom 40 feet away on other persons land. I would never get causght, but thiught they may come out to mud to pick.
Nope... 2-3 birds loud putting in the creek... no luck.
Lesson learned... set up on the ambush trail and if you don't see turkey tracks in the mud... they are not coming.

Thursday:
Got in early on my public land spot. They didnt respond to my owl call.. so I went deeper to a utility line cut to draw from my targeted woods and next big woods block.
1/2 hour later... hear owl hoots and the birds go nuts where I suspected them... Then I see a red light set up 75 yards away. I'm set up in a fence blind tucked in a cedar bush that someone had previously hollowed out a blind. I keep it easy on the calling.
The birds flew down and and left both of us. I hear them start to come back later. Not sure if my neighbor was chasing them. No booms or birds come in.
Hear a gobbler coming in out of the big woods.. that was a new boy on the scene and he came right in.
I make the mistake of calling when hes too close and he's 30 feet out from the cedar bush and I can only see his head above the dead grass. Coming right to me and not my decoys... Not sure if jake or tom... Can't get my barrel through the cedar bush... Ugh.
He stops... sees my Jake decoy... does loud putts and slinks away. Jakey hurt me.
Jake decoy removed and other groups of birds evade me. Tough hunting.
Can you owl hoot too early? or do I suck? the birds responded to it later...

Saturday:

Go to my friend place 3 hours away... private property next too dairy farm and feild. He got his bird by 7:00 AM weds and says there are more.
Set up in blind... do a soft tree yelp and 3 different gorups sound off...
Decoys are a jake 20 yard to the left and a he 30 yard to the right on the plowed field where his trail camera saw them before.
Bursd coming in fast...
7 bird come out to the hen decoy... look like they were heading over to the dairy farmers silage pile... didnt stop.. unitl I called... I can't tell if they have toms with...
All of a sudden the hens turn back and start circling my hen decoy.
Thge two toms come back strutting...
Here the boss tom and more hens coming still... Over run with tuirkeys.
The circling hens get nervous and start to go back into the woods...
Luckily the toms kept coming...
I don't think any of them saw the jake decoy (note: my firends tom was shot as it came to the jake decoy...)
Light enough I can see we have towms...
3o ish yard... franchi affinity 20.. federal tss... burris FF4... one shot... drops... I've never shot a bird with TSS... It drops... hardly any floppig at all. I'm impressed.. thia may be my forever turkey gun.
13 minutes after legal shooting time.... 2 year old tom.

So lessons learned:
Jake decoy can help or hurt. I suspect my thursday tome was a satelite that couldn't deal with it. I think only one hen decoy used in the future. Not 100% on that, but it seems like the jake decoy may spook them 50% of the time. Its exciting the other 50% of the time.
20 gauge with TSS 9 shot is the real deal.

I had my mouth call with me and used it a little... but little confidence... still keep the pot and box around....
Fence blind is still my secutiry blanket... but I may go to a camo blanket next year.
My tactical sling pack works until you are bundled up for a cold MN morning.
Realized I used my bib pockets more than the pack... started to think a calling Bib / Apron may be a better deal over vests, messenger bags, and sling packs.... (anyone ever see a turkey apron???)

I was patterning my 12 gauge franchi and 20 gauge and really liked the less recoil between the 2 oz 12 ga load down to 1.5 oz 20 gauge..
Not sure what I will do with the 12 gauge now... leave it for predators? beaver shootig? I have a lot of 12 gauge turkey loads to use up.... especially 10 rounds of 12 gauge remington TSS I want to try.
I think I'm not buying the rem 870 compact now... just use the 26 inch barrel franch 20 and 28 inch barrel 12 in a pinch...
At least I'm saying this until the next time I go handle shotguns.
Some guys like pumps because you can close them quietly over my intertia autos that you sometimes worry about the benelli click... although I've never have a click occur. I notice people go "forward assist" on their auto's on in turkey hunting videos... not a bad idea.

Long read from the turkey grasshopper here. Lots of learning.

Did I miss any lessons or things you can point out?
0 40 more...
Inceptor Bullets Sale - 9mm, 300 BLK, 45 ACP, 38 Cal, as low was 9.9 cents each RavenRocksPrecision 35 minutes ago
Restock + Sale on the Inceptor Bullets - Copper-Polymer Composite projectiles perfect for self-defense and training; intermediate barrier-blind and frangible on hardened steel.

Inceptor 30 Cal 88gr Lead-free Frangible Short Range Rifle Bullets - (developed for 300 BLK) - 250 ct & 500 ct available - (As low as 11.9 cpp)
https://ravenrocksprecision.com/inc...s-250-ct-developed-for-300-blk-updating/

Inceptor 9mm (.355) 65gr ARX bullets - $49.77 / 500 ct (9.9 cpp)
https://ravenrocksprecision.com/9mm-355-65gr-inceptor-arx-bullets-updating/

Inceptor 38 Cal (.357) 77gr ARX - $49.77 / 500 ct (9.9 cpp)
https://ravenrocksprecision.com/inceptor-38-cal-357-77gr-arx-bullets-updating/

Inceptor 45 Cal (.452) 118gr ARX - $49.95 / 500 ct (9.9 cpp)
https://ravenrocksprecision.com/inceptor-45-acp-452-118gr-arx-bullets-updating/

Inceptor 45 Cal (.452) 158gr ARX - $29.77 / 250 ct (11.9 cpp)
https://ravenrocksprecision.com/inceptor-arx-45-cal-452-158gr/

+

Norma 380 Auto (.355) - $49.77 / 500 ct (9.9cpp)
https://ravenrocksprecision.com/380-auto-355-85gr-mhp-bullets-500-ct/

Load data available here from the manufacturer: https://inceptorammo.com/load-data/
0 56 more...
Re: FS: Nightforce, Sig Sauer, Christensen, Bergara; rifles and pistol 907brass 36 minutes ago
Christensen mpr 1600 shipped, $3500 as pictured with NF atacr
4 775 more...
The Lefty Forum Jump to new posts
Re: Left hand TC .54 muzzle loader Rodney482 37 minutes ago
Originally Posted by KenMi
Originally Posted by Rodney482
Glws… I no longer buy direct from GB. Their fees are just asinine

Buyer fee is 1% of the sale price, not including shipping.

What you are seeing as "fees" is whatever your state sales tax is, which is charged on the sale price plus shipping. Any gun store you shop at will charge tax.

Only way to avoid it is buy direct from an out of state dealer that will ship to you and not add your state sales tax. Then it's up to you if you report it year end on your state income tax.

Yes im aware how it works.
8 668 more...
Page 2 of 16 1 2 3 4 15 16
AX24

607 members (1lessdog, 12344mag, 1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 1badf350, 57 invisible), 2,472 guests, and 1,224 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,410
Posts18,470,373
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.